Saturday 24 August 2013

Fofo the Fody

The Fody is better known as the "cardinal" or "oiseau banane" in Mauritius. I often see cardinals in the garden back home. When I found that the Mauritius Fody is an endemic species that's considered to be endangered, I thought, mmh there seem to be quite a lot of them for an endangered species. 

I started modelling Fofo, without doing more research, and it was only after looking carefully at the book Birds of the Mascarene by Ramen Narainsamy that I realised that the cardinals I saw in the garden were the common Red Fody of Madagascar. The endangered Mauritius Fody is different from the common Fody in that the males are olive brown with a red head, whereas the common Fody are red almost all over. 
Fofo before: red all over



Fofo fixed: swapped the texture



No comments:

Post a Comment